The computer program, KARMA® ,
developed by karma2go, LLC, is a three-dimensional, inelastic,
nonlinear, static and dynamic response analysis program. It
is based on finite element formulations for structures subjected
to environmental loads. A coupled foundation structure, 3-D
nonlinear dynamic failure analyses of land-based and offshore
structures can be performed. KARMA is a result of 22 years of
in-house and oil industry sponsored research and development.
The program's capabilities can be effectively used to evaluate
ductility, failure modes or structural integrity of a variety
of onshore structures (bridges, overpasses, high-rise buildings,
stadiums, hangers, transmission towers, high-tech manufacturing
facilities, etc.) and offshore structures (jacket type, jack-up
rigs, deep-water compliant structures, floating systems, tension
leg platforms, riser/cable systems, etc.). Wherever possible,
the program's methodology has been verified using model scale
and full scale experimental data.
Linear and nonlinear dynamic analyses are performed in the
time domain. Alternately, linear dynamic analyses for earthquake
loads may be performed in the frequency domain (response spectrum
analyses). Environmental loads may be earthquake, wind, hurricane,
wave, boat impact, or any generalized loading. Eigensolutions
of large 3-D complex systems may be performed using state-of-the-art
methods. The program can handle material (steel, concrete,
reinforced concrete, soil, wood, masonry) as well as geometric
Comprehensive risk analyses and fatigue analyses can be performed
including all nonlinear effects. An extensive post-processor
exists in KARMA. It also performs member design checks based
on latest codes and includes the interface to the 3-D general
purpose visualization and animation program, SWAMI®
 . Thus results from KARMA
can be visualized and animated using SWAMI. Alternately, KARMA
models can be interactively built with SWAMI's 3-D graphics
capability. Some of KARMA's special features are listed.
- Automated seismic risk assessment capability.
- Key word oriented input structure.
- Input data echo and extensive data checking capability.
- Automated generation of inelastic properties.
- Profile minimizer to optimize storage and computations.
- Flexible boundary conditions handling through master/slave
or multi-point constraints.
- A generalized damping formulation to allow user specified
damping ratios in as many modes as desired.
- Automated earthquake load profile generation for static
- Extensive element library for structure, soil, foundation,
and specialized applications.
- Flexible and comprehensive load definition options including
member loads and dynamic wind gusts.
- Automated self-tracking static and dynamic analysis capabilities.
- State-of-the-art fatigue analysis options which include
all nonlinear effects.
- Comprehensive post-processing and interfaces to 3-D photo-realistic
graphics and animation with lighting and shading (Program
KARMA is computationally very efficient. Static, dynamic
failure modes of structures including joint failures and member
failures, subjected to earthquakes, wind, hurricane, or most
any environmental load. Seismic, wave, wind retrofit of steel,
reinforced concrete, wood, masonry, tilt-up structures is
one such application. Other applications may be classified
as reassessment of existing structures or ultimate capacity
evaluation of new structures. Nonlinear soil-structure interaction
is consistently considered in the nonlinear static analysis
and/or in the nonlinear dynamic time history analysis.
Some of the typical applications are listed below.
- Seismicrisk assessments.
- Feasibility studies of new structure concepts.
- Seismic evaluation of existing and new structures such
as bridges, buildings, public facilities, stadiums, airport
facilities, hangers, runways, mission critical manufacturing
- Nonlinear dynamic analyses of cable systems, moored systems,
- Storage tanks.
- Soil-structure interaction of structures.
- Designing and evaluating experiments on structure-foundation
- Damage evaluation due to on-site hazards.
- Research on component behaviors.
- Complex joints.
- Nonlinear analyses of onshore and offshore pipelines.
- Nonlinear dynamic analyses of deep-water compliant structures
like the guyed tower, buoyant tower, articulated tower,
tension leg platform, and compliant piled tower.
- Sub-sea well foundation systems.
 KARMA is a registered
trademark of karma2go, LLC, San Francisco, CA.
 SWAMI is a registered trademark of karma2go,
LLC, San Francisco, CA.